Sunday, April 26, 2009

Jerry the Barber

Jerry the barber is one of the friendliest men in Palatka.  He was my dad's barber, and Daddy always enjoyed the culture of the barbershop and the sometimes playful conversation there. 

Before and still after Daddy's passing, when I was home on leave from the Air Force, I would take my two boys with me to have Jerry cut our hair.  Jerry was always interested to know where I was then stationed and if I had been recently promoted.  I thought it remarkable that in spite of the months or years since my last visit to the barbershop, he always recognized me and seemed interested in my military career.

Jerry stuttered, but nobody was bothered by it.  What he had to say was worth waiting for, and people in Palatka tend not to be in a hurry anyway.

One Saturday, Daddy was in Jerry's chair, and they were commenting about some man in town whose behavior they found odd.

Daddy observed, "Well, we all have our peculiarities—except me and you," then quickly adding with a smile, "and sometimes I wonder about you!"

Jerry came back, as quickly as he could in his way, "N-now, HD [Daddy went by his initials], y-you're taking advantage o-of a stuttering man! I-I was g-gonna say that a-about you!"

2 comments:

  1. I can hear Daddy's voice telling that story. Thanks for putting it in writing. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha! That's a great story. Both of them sound so quick witted

    ReplyDelete